Heaton (Tyneside flats): Postcode NE6 5LW
Heaton is an area dominated by private renting and terraces. It has proved very popular with students and couples under 30 as it is a more affordable place to live than Jesmond and the city centre. The main commercial streets are Chillingham Road and Heaton Road with a range of shops, food and drink outlets.
South Heaton ward is predominately flats and terraces with an above average number of 16 to 24 year olds, but North Heaton ward also has significant numbers of interwar and post World War 2 semi-detached homes and more families with children, for example at High Heaton where the housing was originally connected to Heaton high pit.
Historically Heaton was a semi-rural mining area and became urbanised with the coming of the railways. The park was gifted by the industrialist William Armstrong who owned land in the area. Heaton was until recently the home of the Parsons engineering works which made turbines. Much of the housing that still makes up South Heaton was built at the height of Newcastle’s economic power between 1880 and 1910. The total number of houses in Heaton parish grew from around 200 in 1880 to 2,500 in 1900. Vision of Britain Heaton
- Old pictures of Heaton including an aerial shot of High Heaton’s semis under construction http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/old-pictures-heaton-down-years-4311072
- Aerial view of Heaton showing terraces http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4090278743/in/set-72157622716457015/
Many areas with a grid-iron street pattern and traditional rows of brick homes have been cleared and redeveloped, such as at Cruddas Park in Elswick and at Byker. However in Heaton the street pattern and the nineteenth-century built environment remain with terraces including Tyneside flats as well as more upmarket conventional terraced houses (as in the photo at the top of this page). In contrast, at High Heaton crescents were laid out adjoining Newton Road in a pattern according with general town planning principles in the 1920s (as seen in the two aerial views below).
The Tyneside flat was the dominant housing form constructed at the time when the industrial centres on Tyneside were growing most rapidly. They can still be found in South Heaton but once dominated the streetscape on both sides of the Tyne. They were in fact an improvement on earlier forms of urban dwellings which included back-to-back houses. The street pattern was a grid-iron one which made use of every bit of space for development, but paid little attention to the contours of the land on which they were built. Most of these flats date from the latter quarter of the nineteenth century until the onset of the First World War in 1914. The Tyneside flats were built by speculators looking to invest, rather than factory owners, and rented out privately by their proprietors.
It is not clear where in the West End Robert Hope took the image below, but it is thought to date from the early 1970s when a lot of demolition took place. You can just make out the pairs of front doors on the houses. Built as terraces, one of each pair of doors led to an upstairs flat while the other led into the ground-floor flat. Most had two or three main rooms and a scullery. The upper flats typically had an enclosed rear staircase leading to the yard. At the rear there would have been a shared or split yard with dry or water closets, a coal house and perhaps a wash house. Each yard had a door leading into a back lane.
Many Tyneside flats were built to be let for the lowest possible market rents and had little in the way of decorative features or small front gardens. The example below from Wallsend is perhaps typical of the basic style that would have predominated in much of the city of Newcastle and in surrounding urban areas north and south of the River Tyne.